The questions we get asked most often revolve around the confusion between Charlotte’s Web hemp extract oil, hemp seed oil, and marijuana. It’s natural. Unless you’re a botanist, marijuana and hemp look very similar, and people use the word "cannabis" interchangeably between the two. Also, people see hemp seed oil in the grocery store and assume that it’s the same thing as CW Hemp extract oil. Having a bit of knowledge gives you a massive advantage and arms you with powerful health and wellness tools to benefit from Charlotte’s Web whole-plant phytocannabinoid hemp oil extract.
Before we dive in, there is one crucial vocabulary word when researching hemp and that’s phyto-cannabinoid. Phyto-cannabinoids are the primary chemical compounds produced by the cannabis plant, which we’ll discuss a bit later. The two most well known phyto-cannabinoids are THC and CBD.
So, let’s jump into Hemp 101!
Some common questions about hemp vs. marijuana:
Hemp is psychoactive, right? No.
Hemp and marijuana are in the cannabis family, so that makes them the same? No.
Do I need a medical marijuana card to buy hemp extract oil? No.
Are the plant chemicals identical in marijuana and hemp? No.
Does Charlotte’s Web hemp extract contain more phyto-cannabinoids than just CBD? Yes!
Hemp vs. Marijuana Breakdown
Let’s shed some light on these incredible and controversial plants. For those wanting the short version:
- Hemp and marijuana are both cannabis and contain phyto-cannabinoids. Phyto means “plant.” Humans and all mammals produce what are known as endocannabinoids. Endo means “within.” These compounds are key players in normal immune and central nervous system function. Hemp’s phytocannabinoids work with our Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which is a vast receptor system that helps support homeostasis and health.*
- Marijuana has > 0.3% THC (the only phytocannabinoid that gets you "high").
- Hemp has < 0.3% THC and is not psychoactive.
- Marijuana is most often associated with THC and hemp extract is often associated with CBD, a health & wellness phyto-cannabinoid.
- Charlotte's Web proprietary, non-GMO hemp genetics contain a unique combination of phyto-cannbinoids; it’s more than just CBD. CW also includes naturally occurring terpenes, flavonoids, and other valuable hemp compounds that work synergistically to heighten positive effects, sometimes referred to as the “entourage effect”, making it more complete than single-compound CBD alternatives.
Hemp Extract Oil vs. Hemp Seed Oil
Some common questions:
Are hemp seed oil and CW hemp extract oil the same thing? No.
Does hemp seed oil and hemp extract oil contain similar amounts of phytocannabinoids? No.
Are both made from the same parts of the hemp plant? No.
Is Charlotte’s Web hemp extract oil made from the whole plant? Yes!
- Hemp extract oil like Charlotte’s Web is rich in phytocannabinoids and used to help support calm and focus, and recovery from exercise-induced inflammation.
- Hemp seed oil is rich in omega fatty acids, but contains low levels of CBD or none at all.
- Hemp seed oil is used in cooking, beauty products, and as a bio-fuel source.
- CW hemp extract oil is made from the whole plant, while hemp seed oil is made from the seeds.
Now that you know the differences between CW hemp extract oil, hemp seed oil, and marijuana, we recommend that you always seek quality and consistent whole-plant phytocannabinoids for your optimal wellbeing. While world-class genetics are the foundation of Charlotte’s Web, quality is in the details. The production and quality of care that goes into Charlotte's Web products are unmatched. The process is overseen entirely by the Stanley Brothers, beginning with cloning and hand-planting non-GMO plants on family farms, to manufacturing in a FDA-certified facility with 3rd party-verified Good Manufacturing Practices. No one else does this!