The Back-to-school season is stressful, for parents as much as it is for kids. Just a few weeks ago we were reveling in summer’s long, lazy days. But as school buses start down their routes, we shift into fall and likely feel a strain to adjust to the fast pace of a new school year. Picnics, cookouts, and getaways are replaced by playdates, new class assignments, and extracurricular activities. It can be a bit much.
That's why fall is the perfect time to integrate new healthy routines to combat back to school stress. Here are a few of our favorites:
Morning Focus Moment
Once the kids are up, or our phone turns on, the day begins to run away from us. We're off to the races…whether or not we've figured out what we're racing towards! While it may seem like the most painful idea ever, waking up 20 minutes earlier to identify our focus can yield big benefits.
Journaling is quality mind time that can boost your day right from the get go! Sitting down with a blank page may seem daunting, but giving yourself a moment with your inner workings can help you discover desires and identify ways to achieve them. Plus a super easy way to release stress and work through underlying emotions.
- To start, set out paper and pen the night before.
- As soon as you rise, sit down to write stream of conscious thoughts for 20 minutes (approx. 2-3 pages).
By making this a regular practice, you'll have an outlet for working through issues that might otherwise go untended to or just a way to chronicle your days before they fly past!
Midday Breathing Break
Before bouncing to the next meeting or running another errand, take time for a reset. This can bring focus to your day; carving out a little "YOU" time to connect with deeper thoughts and needs. If "meditation" sounds daunting, just think of it as a breathing break.
- Wherever you are — sitting at your desk, walking to lunch, or waiting at a traffic light — begin by bringing attention to your breath. Breathe in and out slowly.
- When thoughts come in to disrupt concentration, that's ok - that's part of the process. Notice what's coming to mind and then go right back to your breath: in and out, in and out.
If this seems too simple to be effective, it's not. Studies of MRI scans show mindfulness practices like this one to be effective in decreasing the area of the brain responsible for stress while strengthening the area associated with concentration and high-level decision making. Whoo!
The Night Time Chill Down
Sleep isn't just the (glorious) end to a busy day; it's a time when various systems of the body go to work to repair and flush toxins so we can be strong again for the next day. If sleep seems elusive and 8 hours feels too good to be true, instituting a nighttime routine to wind down can send you off to Sleepville much easier.
- Blue light-emitting electronics can hijack our sleep cycle, so putting them away (ideally outside of the bedroom altogether) an hour before bed lets melatonin flow on course. These bright lights trick the body into thinking it's day time, making it that much harder to fall asleep.
- Similarly, making sure that lights in the bedroom are on dimmers can help you set the mood for quality sleep.
- If the mind is still running on overdrive at night, adding CW hemp extract — containing a full spectrum of beneficial plant compounds including cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids — to your nighttime routine can promote relaxation for body and mind.
All Day, Any Day Wellness Boost
No matter what point of the day is stretching you thin, CW Hemp extracts work with the human Endocannabinoid system to strengthen our foundation of overall wellness. The ECS is a collection of cell receptors within the human body designed to repair damaged cells and provide a state of internal stability necessary for survival. When our bodies are deficient in endocannabinoids, CW's natural phyto-cannabinoids can be added to restore balance.